Sunday 12 October 2014

If I stay Book Review

Title:  If I Stay.
Author: Gayle Forman
Publication Date:  2009
Summary of the book:
The last thing Mia remembers is music.
After the accident she can still hear it. And she can see her damaged body being taken from the wreck of her parents- car even though she can’t feel a thing.
All she can do is watch as doctors rush to save her life, as her friends and relatives gather outside her room as the boy she loves struggles to be near her.
As the next twenty-four hours unfold. Mia must come to terms with what happened before the crash- and what could come after her. And she knows she must make the most difficult choice of all.
If she stays. (Blurb)
Mia is a budding cellist, who dreams of one day going to Juilliard. But after the accident everything changes and she is forced to make the biggest decision yet, will she stay with her friends and Adam or will she go?
 Thoughts: Most people compare this book to ‘The Lovely Bones’ which I haven’t read. I liked this book but one of the main problems I had with this book was that I found was that it was too short! It is told through flashbacks so we get an insight of what Mia’s life was like before the accident. I really liked this (although I was disappointed when I reached the end of the story & my Kindle said it was only 80% of the way through!) It ends with a cliffhanger, so if you really enjoy this book I'd strongly encourage you to buy the sequel in advance. Although I enjoyed this book I'll be honest and say that I don't think I'll be reading it again on account of the fact that I couldn't really connect with the characters (but that could just be me), perhaps one day I'll read it again and my opinion will change, you never know. 
Reviews:
 "This sensitively written story of the power of love and loss presses all the right buttons . . . the intensity of feelings and tragic suddenness with which life changes will strike a chord with teenagers and the young at heart. Read it, as they say, and weep" (Daily Mail)
"This is a wonderful, beautiful book; so gripping, so wise and oh, so heart-breakingly painful" (Carmen Reid)
"It reminded me very much of The Lovely Bones. I found it uplifting and satisfying" (Anne Cassidy)
Film Adaptation:
There is a film adaptation of the novel (it only recently came out) and it stars Chloe Grace Mortez as Mia Hall, although I haven’t seen the movie it looks good and the trailer inspired me to read the book! (:
Chloe Grace Mortez                            
Mia Hall
Jamie Blackley
Adam
Liana Liberto
Kim
Joshua Leonard
Denny Hall
Mireille Enos
Kat Hall

Romance







No comments:

Post a Comment